Thursday 24 December 2015

Afghan Box Camera at the Open Doors in Sao Paulo

On December the 12th and the 13th, I had the honour in participate at the first "Open Doors" event held in Sao Paulo at the beautiful Casa Ranzini. The event, which is quite popular in Europe, has started to happen in Brazil only this year and quite a few sites were open to the public view. 

I was invited by my friend, who has a photography lab at this magnificent house, to take my Afghan Box camera and make some portraits from the visitors. He gave pinhole workshops to whoever got interested in play a bit with some photo papers and chemicals.

I had some quite nice results. It was the first time I was using a graduated filter (n2) behind the lens to help getting a better contrast on the negatives. I also used his lab to produce the positives in contact print. I made exposures of 20", 30" and sometimes 40", depending on the negative density.